Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Difference in size of exports (.dmp) files (Oracle 11gR2, 11.2.0.1.0, RHEL 5.4 )
Difference in size of exports (.dmp) files [message #506225] Sat, 07 May 2011 02:49 Go to next message
jimit_shaili
Dear Friends.

Recently i've migrated from Oracle 9i SE(9.2.0.1.0) to Oracle 11gR2 EE(11.2.0.1.0). Previously i'm taking export of some of my schema and it's file size was around 1g.(with exp utility of Oracle 9i). As per earlier practice now i'm taking export of same schema with same no of objects and same data volume, the size of export file size on Oracle 11gR2 database is significantly gone down , actual size around 825mb(with expdp utility of Oracle 11g). So i would like to know why there is a difference in file size(.dmp files) of export files between two oracle versions. I have crosschecked objects and rows of data tables. It is perfectly same.

Command line parameter for export on Oracle 9i
exp test/test FILE=test.dmp OWNER=test GRANTS=y ROWS=y COMPRESS=y LOG=test.log

Command line parameter for export on Oracle 11g
expdp test/test DIRECTORY=dpump_dir DUMPFILE=test.dmp LOGFILE
=test.log

Regards

Jimit
Re: Difference in size of exports (.dmp) files [message #506229 is a reply to message #506225] Sat, 07 May 2011 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Different tools, different formats, why do you think it should be the same size?

Regards
Michel
Re: Difference in size of exports (.dmp) files [message #506232 is a reply to message #506229] Sat, 07 May 2011 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimit_shaili
Dear Michel

Thanks for quick reply, but my own understanding is that,in all cases the rows that actual holds the data should remains same in size and while taking of export of those rows should not change the size of that. Only the reason can be there is either a oracle's significantly improvement in storing of data or improvement in export utility. Please correct if i'm wrong in my perception or guide/suggest some docs for improvement in export/import utility by Oracle over the years.

Regards

Jimit
Re: Difference in size of exports (.dmp) files [message #506235 is a reply to message #506232] Sat, 07 May 2011 03:18 Go to previous message
knight
Quote:
The new Data Pump Export and Import utilities (invoked with the expdp and impdp commands, respectively) have a similar look and feel to the original Export (exp) and Import (imp) utilities, but they are completely separate. Dump files generated by the new Data Pump Export utility are not compatible with dump files generated by the original Export utility.

two utilities export same data alright, but they store info. in two different formats,,,,

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_overview.htm
Previous Topic: problem in loading foreign characters
Next Topic: Loading Multiple XML files using SQL*Loader
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:31:41 CDT 2024